New Property Developments in Midrand
Click here to view our selection of properties for sale
Unifying new property developments in Midrand’s past and present
Midrand is located almost on the halfway mark between the principal cities of Johannesburg and Pretoria in Gauteng, South Africa. Long ago, during the era of ox wagons and horse-drawn coach travel, and many years before maintained roads were established between these two cities, a halfway stop in peoples’ slow intercity journeys offered a welcome rest and respite to travellers and their animals.
Appropriately, Halfway House was the name given to this particular rest stop, and subsequently also to the general area. So it remained until 1981, when Midrand was created – also named to indicate the halfway point between Johannesburg, Centurion, and Pretoria. Today, the old central part of Midrand is still known by some as Halfway House.
Old and new developments in Midrand
- Because of the rapid development and ever-increasing numbers of new suburbs of Midrand and the surrounding three cities, they’ve almost all but joined up with one another. Soon, one may expect them to become one, in all but name, local authority and infrastructure.
- In the middle of the previous century, Halfway House/Midrand featured a small, independently owned hotel, a petrol station, possibly a café or general dealer, and an animal feed provider (Halfway House was largely a smallholding and horse owners’ territory).
- The Transvaal Snake Park, a major attraction and new development in the 20th century, was established by one Bernard Keyter. Together with his wife, they opened the reptile and snake park’s doors to the public in 1962, revealing the then largest exhibition of primarily African snakes in the world. A visit to the snake park was a delightful, interesting, and educational experience for young and old.
- As the Midrand population and its needs grew, a newly established, modern shopping mall, The Boulders, became one of the earlier, state-of-the-art developments in the area. The Boulders quickly became an extremely popular retail and lifestyle centre for Midrand residents and folks from further afield. Within the mall, the retention of enormous granite boulders, said to be some 3,5 million years old, remains a distinguishing heritage characteristic of The Boulders, which has been upgraded since it started trading.
- One of Midrand’s most breathtaking new developments was inspired by an Ottoman mosque of the 1500s located in modern day Turkey. Nizamiye Mosque Complex, the largest of its magnificent kind in the entire sub-equatorial hemisphere, was commissioned by a humanitarian patron of Turkish ancestry and completed in 2012, three years after construction began. In addition to this exceptionally beautiful mosque, the complex’s property contains a cemetery, school, market, bazaar, clinic, barber, bookstore, carpet retailer, and a Turkish restaurant.
- Midrand is also home to the biggest single-phase shopping mall to be erected and developed in Africa. Its gross area comprises 550 000 square metres and it exemplifies the modern, high-end African shopping experience, targeting the upper demographic’s shopping needs.
Midrand property specialists
Adjacent to the Mall of Africa, you’ll find the new Waterfall Estate. This is a residential and lifestyle development consisting of a variety of luxury homes. This is where Fine & Country South Africa, our premier estate agency, enters the picture.
At Fine & Country South Africa, we specialise in the luxury property sector and are represented by highly professional, independent estate agents, who dedicate their time and efforts to our clients on a personal, one-on-one basis. As in other affluent areas that feature luxury properties, new and established, our Midrand property specialists share their in-depth, intimate knowledge of the area and the lifestyle that it offers with our clients.
We understand that the acquisition of a new property is an emotional decision, not exclusively based on beauty and bricks and mortar; it involves a great deal more, and we are here to guide you through the process.