ENERGY PERFORMANCE CERTIFICATES
WHAT IS AN EPC?
You will have seen these on lots of household items, as well as property details. They are the colourful little bar charts that state how energy efficient something is, including a property. They contain information about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs as well as recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money. Once completed, an EPC lasts for 10 years.
WHY DO I NEED AN EPC?
It is a legal requirement for a property to have an EPC when it is built, sold or rented. There must be an EPC in place prior to marketing commencing. This even includes calling potential buyers!
PROPERTIES THAT ARE EXEMPT FROM REQUIRING AN EPC
Some buildings are exempt from needing an EPC. These include:
- Listed buildings
- Temporary buildings that will be used for less than 2 years
- Industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings that do not use a lot of energy
- Some buildings that are due to be demolished
- Holiday accommodation that’s rented out for less than 4 months a year or is let under a licence to occupy
- Residential buildings intended to be used less than 4 months a year
More info here: https://www.gov.uk/buy-sell-your-home/energy-performance-certificates